Friday, October 16, 2009

World Prayer - One Tweet made all the difference

One Tweet Really Can Make a Difference!!!

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 05:33 AM PDT



Once upon a time some seven months ago there was a tweet. A prayer request for a mother and a grandmother. Did the individual know that it would inspire a ministry that is soon to be an organization. Did Melissa Mashburn or mels_world know when she posted it; it would create a total vision for a new ministry. Now over sixty team members later that tweet has taken the shape of a vision. Yes, one tweet, one prayer request inspired the creation and formation of World Prayr Ministries. Today Melissa shares the story behind that tweet and prayer request. We are so blessed to share her story, we encourage you to take time to read, follow Melissa on Twitter and read her blog. The woman behind the reason for that prayer request encloses a special note.

We thank the Mashburns for that tweet and for inspiring a ministry unto God.



It’s a funny thing to think that something as simple as a single solitary tweet on Twitter can make such a difference. I don’t even remember what day it was, but I remember that it was one of the hardest days of my life. I was out with my kids for our weekly Chiropractic appointment when I got a phone call that would forever change the way I look at my family.

I’d always known that I was blessed with an incredible family. I have even been blessed with an equally incredible family in love (law just doesn’t equate to the love of my husband’s family). Unfortunately life happens and I lost focus on the fact that the family is such a great gift. Not any longer. That day when I got the phone call is was from my mom, and normally I would let it go to voicemail until I was in a place where I could talk, but this time my mom called me three times in a row, and I knew that something must be wrong.

She said that she wanted to meet me and the family for dinner that night but we already had plans and I made some off the cuff remark about “Why is there something wrong that you need to tell me?”, and then there was silence. She said, “Well, as a matter of fact there is. Your grandmother went to the doctor’s today and they told her that she has bone marrow cancer.” Silence again. Mom then went on to say that she went to the doctor’s that day and they confirmed that it is breast cancer.

Shock.

Horror.

Deathly Silent.

I sat there and cried not really knowing what was getting ready to happen to our family, but also knew that my kids were watching me and my mom was also reaching out to me to tell her it was going to be alright. At that moment everything came crashing down and yet it also became crystal clear…it’s about family. I encouraged my mom and prayed with her, got the kids home, then went to a place where I could sit, process, and cry for a bit.

Up until this moment in my life not one person in my family had been directly affected by cancer, and I come from a very large family of almost 150 people, but on this day two of the most important people in my family, my mom and her mom, my grandmother, were diagnosed with cancer. I wanted to shake my head and wake up from this nightmare, but reality had set it and I knew it wasn’t a dream but was really happening.

I went online to my friends on Twitter and sent out a simple tweet that said something like this…”Please pray for my mom and grandmother. Mom has breast cancer and Grandma has Bone Marrow Cancer.” I didn’t know what would happen or if people would be appalled that I asked for prayer in such an open and worldly place, but what came next was nothing short of a miracle.

I received messages, notes, emails from people all over the world who were joining me in prayer for my mom and grandmother. I was encouraged, prayed for, and blessed beyond measure and in doing so was able to stand firm and tall for my mom as she walked down her breast cancer journey.

Here we are 5 months later and mom is finishing up her final stages of breast cancer. She had a successful surgery, some hard times with chemotherapy, and is now on her last 2 weeks of radiation. It has not been an easy journey for her at all, but God is good (all the time) and He has shown himself to her in new and exciting ways. My parents marriage is stronger and more vibrant, my grandmother has been told it could be ten years before she needs treatment (she’s 87 and laughed when the doctor told her that…she said she didn’t plan on being here in 10 years), and an incredible new ministry has been born.

We sit back and celebrate the difference that one tweet can make because we have seen the grace and mercy that has flowed from Him to so many because of it. Congratulations WorldPrayr, you have no idea how much of an impact can be made when His people join together and pray for each other. Keep up the great work…I’m so thrilled to watch God work through you!

Seeking JOY on the Journey,

Melissa Mashburn

Daughter of the King, Wife, Mom, Pastor's Wife, Writer, Speaker...all around God Chick!

Acts 20:24 - But my life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about God's wonderful kindness and love.



Melissa’s Mom with a special message

First and foremost I want to say “Thank You” to everyone.

I am very fortunate to have the support of my husband and both of my daughters. They were with me for every treatment and every down fall I had. I am truly blessed. But every time I received a chemo treatment I had the added comfort of knowing that hundreds, thousands of prayers were being said for “me”. This gave me a peace of mind and the courage to continue no matter what was happening next.

I will never be able to Thank all of you, please know that you will forever be in my prayers and in my heart.

Regina Scarbrough

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive